Monday 6 February 2017

LOVE . . . My Besties style + exciting news!

I have been invited to be Guest Designer on the
   


Today I have used the Steampunk Bestie by Sherri Baldy.


It has been a creative adventure making this card,
using a combination of
printing a digital stamp,
electronic and manual die cutting,
masking and ink blending,
Copic marker and Gel Pen colouring,
punching and lots of fun.

My top hat shaped card stands 6" tall and 8 1/4" wide.

   

I imported the digital stamp on to my Silhouette Cameo mat, placed it on to the top hat cut file and printed it on X-Press It Blending Card then cut it out using my Cameo.
I also used the hat cut file to make a top folding card base.

I printed another copy on photocopy paper and glued it to a panel of X-Press It Mask It.  I slowly fussy cut out the image to make my very own My Besties Steampunk mask.

I carefully applied the mask over the image on the cut panel.
Then the inky fun began.  I blended Walnut Stain Distress Ink over the entire background, the mask around the image worked a treat.  Note to self - next time I need to cut the image into the outline, so that it doesn't leave any white edges around the image.

I decided that the top hat needed some more blending to give it some dimension, so I carefully applied the mask over the image again, then took some strips of Mask It to mask the middle "hat band" section of the hat and blended with Gathered Twigs.

I removed that mask then took the "negative" from the rim that comes with the cut file to mask off that section and make it ready for some more blending.  I only have a few Distress Ink mini pads and markers, so I took my Black Soot Distress Marker, scribbled it on to some scrap from the Mask It (the section that is peeled off to expose the adhesive side of mask) then loaded up my blending tool sponge.  It took quite a few times of scribbling and blending before the section was fully covered but well worth the effort, I really was impressed with the result.  I should have taken a photo before I started colouring and embellishing ... another thing to remember for next time.


I coloured most of the image with Copic markers, the metallic cogs and accents were coloured with Kaisercraft metallic gel pens, using my piercing tool to get in to all the fine points.  I used a black Copic Multi Liner to darken any smudged edges.

Glossy Accents were added to the glass of the monocle and goggles.

There are leafy strands flowing from the hat on this image but they kind of disappeared in to the dark background, so I thought that a little dimension would balance with the other side of the card.


I'm thrilled with the monocle on the octopus, the Glossy Accents make it look so real.

I added some black and dark brown to the sparkling "love", it was a little too sparkly.
The velvet heart brad was a little bright too, so I coloured it with R46 to tone it down.

The feathers were die cut from X-Press It blending card and coloured with Copic markers in the same shades as her dress.  I used a variety of punches to cut the flowers, colouring them with matching markers too.

The cogs / gears were cut using the Silhouette Cameo, some came with the Steampunk Top Hat image, the others were from a separate set (details below).  I coloured some with the metallic gel pens to add some contrast to the layers.

*** INGREDIENTS ***
Sherri Baldy My Besties - digital stamp - Steampunk Bestie IMG133
X-Press It - A4 blending card
X-Press It - Mask It (masking film)
Silhouette Design Store - Steampunk Top Hat by Suzanne Cannon - Design ID #135482 
Silhouette Design Store - 6 GEARS by Lori Whitlock - Design ID #30449
Copic markers - skin - E0000 E000 E00 E01E02
Copic markers - lips - R21 R22
Copic markers - hair - YR20 YR21 YR23 YR24 YR27
Copic markers - eyes - B21 B23 B26 B28
Copic markers - clothes - R21 R22 R24 R27 R29 R46
Copic markers - belts / straps - E19 E18
Copic markers - goggles - C0 C4
Copic markers - octopus - B21 B23 B26 B28 B29
Copic markers - behind the edge of the octopus goggles - E42 E43
Glossy Accents
Distress Inks - Walnut Stain, Gathered Twigs, Black Soot
Round Ink Blending Tool and Sponges
Kaisercraft - metallic - Gel Pens
Kaisercraft Decorative Dies – Feather Die
Paper Smooches – Feathers Dies
Ultimate Crafts – Jadene: Careless And Free Dies 
Fiskars – small Burst Lever Punch
Fiskars - small Flower Lever Punch
Fiskars - Flowers Border Punch
Sizzix – “love” - Regal Stand Ups Framelits byStephanie Barnard

~~~*~~~*~~~

Sending a big Thank You to Dorothy and the My Besties Dutch Girls for having me as their Guest Designer.

I hope that you have been inspired and create a My Besties project for their challenge.

~~~*~~~*~~~
I am going to enter my card in the following challenges (alphabetical order):
~~~*~~~*~~~
~~~*~~~*~~~
~~~*~~~*~~~
~~~*~~~*~~~

58 comments:

  1. She looks great on that top hat! Great job using all those different "tools" and elements! Thanks for entering the QKR Stampede challenge this week - anything goes, with an optional valentine twist. Dorothy S, DT member

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dorothy :)
      It really was fun making this card but I have to confess that I became more nervous as the layers were building. No escape clause if I coloured outside the lines and the weather was so humid that it didn't look like the Glossy Accents were ever going to dry.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely fantastic-I adore the hat. Hoping a Silhouette is somewhere in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Beth :)
      I hope you get one too, it opens up a whole new world.
      In the meantime, you could make some shaped card like this top hat because it is an easy shape to fussy cut. I forgot to mention in my post, but the layer with the image printed on it did not cut fully as the hat rim went outside the "print area", so I just placed it on top of one of the layers I cut from textured cardstock and trimmed it to size with my scissors.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness what a fabulous card and so much work has gone in to it. Thanks for sharing with us over at Besties International this month.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Sue :)
      Yes, it was one of my more technique-heavy cards and I can't wait to try it again.

      Delete
  4. Me again! This time it's a thank you for sharing your WONDERFUL card with us over at Colour it , create it & show it off this month.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOOOOWZA! What an amazing shaped card--- LOVE the details on her hat and the gears! Your coloring is FABULOUS--- I really need to pull out my markers and try it again:) <3 And as for the time that it took to make this card--- WORTH IT:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Savannah :)
      YES, get your markers out and have FUN! I only started with mine last year and found them to be an addiction that was impossible to resist. Tip-to-tip colouring adds to your colour range too.

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic card, Tracy! Well Done and so beautiful! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    TTCRD DT
    Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this steampunk hat card. It truly is wonderful. Thanks for joining us at My Besties International Challenge.
    Sandy. (DT Coordinator)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowzers Tracy - she gorgeous!! I love the steampunk look too. Absolutely beautiful card.

    Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at the Color It Create It Share It Challenge.

    With smiles
    Laine Kammeraad
    DT Color It Create It Show It Off

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a ~FABulous design..I LOve your colours and embellishments. Thank you so much for joining us this week at QKR Stampede.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!!! I really love it!!! Thanks for enjoying us at My Besties Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic design, gorgeous little details amazing work.
    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge X

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful creation, Tracy! I love every fabulous detail and your coloring is really beautiful!!! Thanks for this superb inspiration today!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic work!!Thanks for joining us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.Good luck and Hope to see you again.Gr.Kaija Dt-member

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's me again, thank you for sharing your wonderful card at Color It Create It Show It Off.
    Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card, I love all the layers. Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede. Karal DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and pretty card. Thanks for joining us at Come And Get It challenge.Neva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card Tracy! Thanks for joining us at the Come and Get it challenge. ~DT Dana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Preciosa tu tarjeta, es muy original y vistosa!! Muchas gracias por participar con nosotras. Saludos. Andy Ro- DT My Besties Art España
    http://mybestiesartespanablogoficial.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  19. great colour work on your adorable card...thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs Kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hermoso proyecto, me encantan todos sus detalles!! Gracias por tu participación en http://mybestiesartespanablogoficial.blogspot.com/
    Suerte!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous project you have made Tracy
    Thanks for join us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.
    Good Luck and hope to see you again

    Greetings Karin DT Coördinator

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a creative project. Thanks for sharing with us at Color it Create it Show it off.
    Cindy DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Special this steampunk in red ! Thank you for participating in our challenge Color it, Create it, Show it off! Regards, Gina DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful project. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck and hope to see you play with us in February.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Color It Create It Show It Off DT Member}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a Gorgeous project.
    Thank you for joining us at My Bestie Aussie Challenge.
    Hugs Rose

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful job, I loved it ... thanks for joining our challenge in My Besties International Blog
    Delfina DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this!!!!! Your talents are incredible, this is the cutest Besty ever and to think you are even using cutting files! Tracy you rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.